Monday 14 December 2015

May The Toys Be With You

So it's December and the brand new Star Wars film, The Force Awakens, comes out this week. The Beaney museum in Canterbury just opened their doors to their new exhibition; 'May the Toys be with you'. As a Beaney Blogger I have been looking forward to this show all year!
When I walked through the doors, the first thing that struck me was the fact there were lots of small children with their parents. Watching them point out classic characters to their parents instantly made me smile. I still love the fact Star Wars can still attract all different ages, and the adults who grew up with it can pass on their love for these films to their children. Like George Lucas has been said to have said that he makes films for children, however adults seem to enjoy them too.
The collector in me was instantly drawn to the cabinets filled up with Star Wars merchandise, which included lots of loose action figures. It was amazes me that George Lucas kept merchandise rights. He knew he wanted to create so many action figures, that's why he created so many characters, however I'm sure he never knew how successful the films would actually be.
One of my favourite parts of the show was the large film posters. They have a few that show the difference while they were editing and updating the images. It was great to see so many together in one place. Plus they look great on a white wall, perfect for any home!
There are lots of colouring in sheets and activities for children to do. I was very tempted by a Han Solo picture. Plus there were a few costumes for children to try on! I saw a small girl get dressed up like Darth Vader, and she looked super happy about it!
Star Wars has been such an important part of my life growing up. It meant so much to me as a kid in the 90s being able to go to the cinema and see a brand new Star Wars film. I went to see The Phantom Menace 3 times with my Dad. My Dad was always a huge fan of SW, in fact our loft is full up with all this collectables. Having an awesome Dad who loves the originals gave me a chance to become a fan before the prequels came out. I got to experience that buzz of 3 new films. Now thinking about this week I shall be sitting in a cinema, popcorn in hand, ready to see a brand new film, taking the franchise far into the future and fills me with utter joy. Make sure you go and see this wonderful show, it's on until March.

No comments: