Thursday 28 January 2016

David Bowie, a true genius

When I first heard the news that David Bowie had died my heart just went numb. I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to my Dad. As I walked down the stairs I hear the tv was on. The next thing I heard was my sister saying 'does Nicola know?'. I walked through the door and looked at my Dad. All he could say was that he couldn't believe it. I then just burst into tears. I don't think I have ever cried so much for somebody in the public eye before.
My Dad has the greatest taste in music, and most of the music I listen to is because of him. David Bowie (in my Dad's words) 'my music hero has died'. This made me even more sad. My Dad gave me the gift of Bowie. Listening to his music growing up was wonderful. Falling in love with Bowie's persona at art collage because I was finding out you could be who you wanted to be, and it didn't matter that you were really different. Bowie made that ok.
The man was an artist, genius and visionary. A bright star in the nights sky that choose to be different, and show the world that it's ok. A hero.

No comments: